Linnéa : Got this really ugly homemade table long long time ago and I guess I took it as an challenge to try to make it into something beautiful.....but I really didn't believe it was possible.
I worked on it for a long time, like when you do a regular oil painting. I forgot about it also for a while and then got some new inspiration, to go on with it. And it wasn't until the last layer , that I saw that I had managed to make it to something beautiful.
Two horribly dirty armchairs from the Seventies had a modern make over.
Grey body with brown piping and yellow details on the front.
Linnéa : Yes, another turquoise chair has been made! This was from the beginning an old school chair without any textiles.
I got a vintage paint wax from a good friend in Sweden, that I started to use on all kinds of furnitures .One of them is this chair. Now, I'm making the paint my self and it seems to be working great on wood!
And with this beautiful designed textile and the back bejeweled with silver rivets, it became something else than a school chair.
A friend found this rocking chair/glider/nursing chair on the street, far away in Bat Yam and gave it to me. It lacked seats and a back rest and probably once it had a gliding stool to accompany it, but not any more.
It was huge and I had no idea what to do with it so I asked my guy. He said make something crazy, something that would fit in Alice in Wonderland. Well, that didn't make it easier. So it just stood there in the corner of the room for 6 months - but the cats loved it.
Then I went for a visit to Sweden and in an unassuming department store on Christmas Eve I saw this amazing colourful fabric with wild animal heads. It just made me laugh out loud and I knew I had found the solution.
I wish I could find the designer of the fabric to give him/her some credit but all research has turned up no clues to where it is from originally.
I painted the chair with 5 layers of home made Milk Paint: dark blue, cream, bright red, turquoise and grassy green. Then I distressed it in places to reveal the different layers.
This quirky glider has become a favourite of many friends who visit and the cats still fight over who gets to sleep on it.
My friends bought an apartment and this little cupboard was on one of the walls there. Then is was shabby, with peeling paint and a broken door knob.
I sanded it down and repainted it white and did decoupage on the inside using old entertainment newspapers from the 50's.
It turned out very cute:
Linnéa : My daughter brought me this project, the twin stool to the one I got before from the neighbours. I had to promise her not to sell it, so this one is for Alma, my angelheart!
I made it different from the first one, that was colorful and very bluish. To this one, I used two Trina Turk patterned fabrics and a off -white color for the wood, also with a shabby chic touch.
I got this chair for next to nothing in a terrible condition - painted white and without seats - from a student who wanted to get some extra cash. The chair had bite marks all over the legs from a smaller dog and one armrest had been fastened into place with a large nail right through the top.
I used a heat gun to get most of the thick paint off and sanded it down, to get the paint out of the bite marks I actually sat with a small pin needle and chiseled it out with huge patience. It was utterly boring and many days I wanted to give up and leave little flecks of white paint here and there. But I didn't and now this is my favorite armchair. I kept the large nail through the armrest as a reminder of its past and I patched up the bite marks a bit, but also here I wanted to keep a bit of history on one leg.
The seats I recycled from an old no longer existent couch that I had found in a friends attic.
The little stool I bought at the flea market. Someone had literally staple gunned an ordinary pillow to make a seat for it. I built it up from scratch and glued a large crack running down one leg. I stained it and dressed it to match the armchair.
Many have seen the resemblance of these kind of chairs and the 1960s Danish styled furniture. I have been told that at the time carpenters in Israel actually just copied or borrowed ideas straight out of Danish furniture catalogs since it was nearly impossible or extremely expensive to import these kinds of items.
Please click on one picture below to see the gallery of before and after pictures.
Linnéa : It has been a while since I had the pleasure to redo a furniture. We are about to move house and I have been busy doing a lot of new clothes and accessories to our store - also projects in UndoRedo spirit, but not as fun as furniture.
This little piece was a gift from the neighbors. It was broken, boring and ugly but it got a new cute look with a touch of shabby chic and textile of Ralph Lauren!
These 2 cupboards were bought 3 generations back and given fresh paint in the 70s. Now it was time for another refreshment. I was asked to try to match the colour of the tiles in the bathroom - marine blue and seaweed green both with a cream colour marble effect.
After sanding and priming I painted the inside and out, polished the hardware and varnished with my favourite Danish floor varnish (Bondex by Dyrup) which creates a hard and water resistant surface. All primer, paints and varnish that I use are water based i.e. easier on my nose and head, easier to clean sponges, rollers etc and better for the environment.
I ended up painting 3 different versions before settling on this marine blue with cream and green colour veins, the inside is golden mustard with cream veins.
See pictures below, of before and after and close up of the tiles. I will not add captions to the pictures as it seems to mess up the images when viewed on a smart phone.
Linnea & Caroline
2 foreigners in Israel trying to find their space. Up-cycling furniture and clothes for a better environment and future.
Check us out on Instagram: