Linnéa: Got a job from our family and very good friends: four dining chairs from the 80's that were quite ugly with a thick layer of paint, topcoat brown.
They wanted to get rid of all paint and bring out the real wood. I had never had this kind of work before and really wanted to try to do it.
Luckily I am a very stubborn person but I must say that sometimes a was ready to throw in the towel and some days I wanted to throw them all away.......but I kept going and it paid off. Thank God for the Swedish Mora knife, it saved me a lot of hours! After getting rid of all the paint and lacquer and sandpapering them, I finished them with two layers of cold pressed linen oil and beeswax. The transformation was wonderful! And such a joy to see the result!
Linnéa : Got this really ugly homemade table long long time ago and I guess I took it as an challenge to try to make it into something beautiful.....but I really didn't believe it was possible.
I worked on it for a long time, like when you do a regular oil painting. I forgot about it also for a while and then got some new inspiration, to go on with it. And it wasn't until the last layer , that I saw that I had managed to make it to something beautiful.
Two horribly dirty armchairs from the Seventies had a modern make over.
Grey body with brown piping and yellow details on the front.
Linnéa : Yes, another turquoise chair has been made! This was from the beginning an old school chair without any textiles.
I got a vintage paint wax from a good friend in Sweden, that I started to use on all kinds of furnitures .One of them is this chair. Now, I'm making the paint my self and it seems to be working great on wood!
And with this beautiful designed textile and the back bejeweled with silver rivets, it became something else than a school chair.
Linnéa : The people who know me, for sure knows that I'm completely in love with the color turquoise. No matter how hard I try not to get too much of it in our house, it's taking over my will and sneaks in everywhere :-) .
When I took this 60's chair apart, it was made with textile fabric but under it I saw that the original had been made with vinyl. So, when I went to buy material for this chair, of course I couldn't resist this beautiful turquoise vinyl.
A friend found this rocking chair/glider/nursing chair on the street, far away in Bat Yam and gave it to me. It lacked seats and a back rest and probably once it had a gliding stool to accompany it, but not any more.
It was huge and I had no idea what to do with it so I asked my guy. He said make something crazy, something that would fit in Alice in Wonderland. Well, that didn't make it easier. So it just stood there in the corner of the room for 6 months - but the cats loved it.
Then I went for a visit to Sweden and in an unassuming department store on Christmas Eve I saw this amazing colourful fabric with wild animal heads. It just made me laugh out loud and I knew I had found the solution.
I wish I could find the designer of the fabric to give him/her some credit but all research has turned up no clues to where it is from originally.
I painted the chair with 5 layers of home made Milk Paint: dark blue, cream, bright red, turquoise and grassy green. Then I distressed it in places to reveal the different layers.
This quirky glider has become a favourite of many friends who visit and the cats still fight over who gets to sleep on it.
My friends bought an apartment and this little cupboard was on one of the walls there. Then is was shabby, with peeling paint and a broken door knob.
I sanded it down and repainted it white and did decoupage on the inside using old entertainment newspapers from the 50's.
It turned out very cute:
Linnéa : My daughter brought me this project, the twin stool to the one I got before from the neighbours. I had to promise her not to sell it, so this one is for Alma, my angelheart!
I made it different from the first one, that was colorful and very bluish. To this one, I used two Trina Turk patterned fabrics and a off -white color for the wood, also with a shabby chic touch.
Linnéa : Last week I got an assignment to make a camera belt for a photographer. I took the measurements from the old belt but the rest was for me to decide and design.
The length of the belt was 120 cm! So I used the leather of a pair of old but unused leather pants. I wasn't sure about how it would go but I am really happy with result and I think the camera guy will be too.
Linnea & Caroline
2 foreigners in Israel trying to find their space. Up-cycling furniture and clothes for a better environment and future.
Check us out on Instagram: